Read Write Inc Phonics at St John’s
At St John’s we use the Read Write Inc programme to get the children off to a flying start with their literacy. Read Write Inc is a method of learning centred on letter sounds and phonics.
Using Read Write Inc, the children learn to read effortlessly so they can put all their effort into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell easily so they can put all their effort into composing what they write.
When using Read Write Inc to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using Read Write Inc to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
For further information about the Read Write Inc Phonics Scheme please watch this helpful tutorial.
Parent video: How to say the sounds