Welcome to Year 1
Class teachers for Year 1 are Miss Penny (1P) and Mrs Cairns (1C)
We also have Mrs Melia and Mrs Highton as our Teaching Assistants.
Topics we explore thoughout Year 1 are ‘Ourselves, ‘Toys Past and Present’ and ‘Seasons’.
We also have mini topics such as Our Local Area, The Great Fire of London, Chinese New Year and Healthy eating making a fruit salad.
We have lots of lessons each week, including: English, Phonics, Maths, Religious Education, Science, Topic (which includes History, Geography, and Art & DT), PSHE/SEAL, PE and Computing On a Thursday morning we have specialised teachers delivering PE and Art.
Throughout the year we rotate our areas of learning in our classrooms, focusing on: Role-play, Maths, Writing, Reading, Creativity, Malleable, Construction, Computers and Small World.
We use these throughout the week to support our work during lessons.
Reading is a big part of school life in Year 1 and we love to read with our teachers and teaching assistants. Phonics is a big focus in Year 1 and every day children receive a discreet phonics lesson. We follow the Read Write Inc programme. To finish our day we often enjoy a story together as a class. We take a reading book home every week to read with our families as well as a variety of books from our school library.
Things we have enjoyed in Year 1
- Our Seasonal walks, noting the changes from season to season. We have been our senses to write poems about each season.
- Attending Mass in St John’s Church.
- Raising money for CAFOD by taking part in a Santa Dash and the little fish to big fish project.
- Investigating the best material to keep a polar explorer warm and dry.
- Designing our own piece of playground equipment and making a miniature structure of it.
- ur visit from the fire service
- ur trip to Croxteth Park Farm
- The WOW science day
Things to look forward to in Year 1
- Growing our own Bean Plants
- Earth day- learning what we can do to save our planet.
- Sports Day
- Art/DT day making a fruit salad
To see Year 1's Curriculum plans for 2020/21, H.A.S.T forms, Class information forms, R.E Curriculum, and information about our phonics reading programme, Read Write Inc, please click here.
Maths at home booklet for Parents and Carers
This short leaflet covers the Core Concepts and ideas that your child will
need to know this year.
You will find suggestions for games to play, activities to do and websites to
access to support you, as your support your child.