Food Information Regulations
YOU MUST INFORM SCHOOL IF YOUR CHILD HAS A FOOD ALLERGY.
YOU MUST ALSO INFORM SCHOOL IF YOU THINK YOUR CHILD HAS A FOOD ALLERGY.
Please contact the school and make an appointment if you would like to discuss any allergen issues
Please follow the below link to see NHS guidance on allergies:
Helpful advice can be found on the Allergy.UK website below:
The 14 most common allergens:
- Celery - This includes celery stalks, leaves and seeds and celeriac. It is often found in celery salt, salads, some meat products, soups and stock cubes
- Cereals containing gluten - This includes wheat (such as spelt and Khorasan wheat/Kamut), rye, barley and oats. It is often found in foods containing flour, such as some baking powders, batter, breadcrumbs, bread, cakes, couscous, meat products, pasta, pastry, sauces, soups and foods dusted with flour. The cereal will need to be declared. However, it is up to you if you want to declare the presence of gluten with this.
- Crustaceans - This includes crabs, lobster, prawns and scampi. It is often found in shrimp paste used in Thai curries or salads.
- Eggs - This is often found in cakes, some meat products, mayonnaise, mousses, pasta, quiche, sauces and foods brushed or glazed with egg.
- Fish - This is often found in some fish sauces, pizzas, relishes, salad dressings, stock cubes and in Worcestershire sauce.
- Lupin - This includes lupin seeds and flour, and can be found in some types of bread, pastries and pasta.
- Milk - This is found in butter, cheese, cream, milk powders and yoghurt. It is often used in foods glazed with milk, powdered soups and sauces.
- Molluscs - This includes mussels, land snails, squid and whelks. It is often found in oyster sauce or as an ingredient in fish stews.
- Mustard - This includes liquid mustard, mustard powder and mustard seeds. It is often found in breads, curries, marinades, meat products.
- Nuts - This includes almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio nuts, macadamia or Queensland nuts. These can be found in breads, biscuits, crackers, desserts, ice cream, marzipan (almond paste), nut oils and sauces. Ground, crushed or flaked almonds are often used in Asian dishes such as curries or stir fries.
- Peanuts - This can be found in biscuits, cakes, curries, desserts and sauces such as for satay. It is also found in groundnut oil and peanut flour.
- Sesame seeds - This can be found in bread, breadsticks, houmous, sesame oil and tahini (sesame paste).
- Soya - This can be found in bean curd, edamame beans, miso paste, textured soya protein, soya flour or tofu. It is often used in some desserts, ice cream, meat products, sauces and vegetarian products.
- Sulphur dioxide - This is often used as a preservative in dried fruit, meat products, soft drinks and vegetables as well as in wine and beer.